Jupyter(IPython) notebooks rendering

ajeandet

12 Jan, 2016 02:12 PM

Hi,

It would be nice to render Jupyter Notebooks like in github with rhodecode.

Best regards,
Alexis.

1. 1 Posted by Arnaud GUT on 12 Jan, 2016 02:40 PM

To study but a priori +1.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 12 Jan, 2016 02:49 PM

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for the proposal, i believe Github is using https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/ to do so. It looks like an opensource project, i'm sure we could somehow embed it and implement this.

Best,

3. 3 Posted by ajeandet on 12 Jan, 2016 06:26 PM

From what I understand here:http://blog.jupyter.org/2015/05/07/rendering-notebooks-on-github/ they don't use nbviewer for direct rendering on github, nbviewer can access to github with its API. I don't know if their notebook render is open or not. This feature would really improve our daily work and others academic users at least.

Best regards,
    Alexis.

4. 4 Posted by ajeandet on 21 May, 2016 08:04 PM

Hi Marcin,

Any news on this?
    Is it possible to add custom renderer on Rhodecode based on file extension? If yes could you point me to some Rhodecode API doc?
    Indeed it would be nice to add custom renderers, for example for Jupyter Notebooks and also in our case it would be really nice also with Kicad files. In fact any non code/text file would be nicer.

Best regards,
    Alexis.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 25 May, 2016 08:16 AM

Hi,

I'm happy to announce that RhodeCode is back to open source :) Alexis, if you know python feel free to checkout our 4.0.0 release at https://code.rhodecode.com/rhodecode-enterprise-ce, and start hacking.

Cheers

6. 6 Posted by ajeandet on 25 May, 2016 09:19 AM

Nice! I will definitely look into the code.

7. 7 Posted by ajeandet on 17 Feb, 2017 09:08 PM

Hi,

I'm back on this feature, I'm too far from web technologies. Reading the code isn't easy for me, I've no idea what does what.
    But at least I can say that converting any ipynb file to an html file is easy with nbconvert:

nbconvert --to html notebook.ipynb

This will produce a file called notebook.html, from what I understand, displaying this file might be done in one iframe.

The few things I don't get:

• does it require a lot of code to issue nbconvert command on ipynb file and embed the result in the produced page?
    • jupyter project focus on Python 3 support now, and so nbconvert might only be available for Python 3, is it a problem for rhodecode?
    • Is it possible to make this universal in somehow, allowing user to set converters based on file extensions. For example one may be able to add a converter for kicad PCB files with something like for files matching "*.kicad_pcb" call "some_converter --with-args"

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

03 Oct, 2017 08:26 PM
03 Oct, 2017 05:48 PM
28 Sep, 2017 05:55 PM
25 Sep, 2017 06:06 PM