Code Review of Multiple Changesets (again)?

Oleg Efimov

19 Jan, 2017 08:44 AM

First of all, I've read a very similar discussion https://rhodecode.tenderapp.com/help/discussions/questions/1717-cod... and I'm also comparing RC to Crucible applied to our development process.

In Subversion projects we use the following flow:
1. Developer commits commit #123 on task X
2. Tests fail on CI
3. Developer (swears and) commits #456 on task X
4. Developer resolves task X
5. Review is created for task X and commits #123 and #456
6. Reviewer inspects changes compared to previous versions of the files
7. Reviewer posts inline comments/issues inside review
8. Reviewer re-opens task X
9. Developer commits commit #789 on task X to fix reviewer's concerns
10. Commit #789 is added to the same review
11. Reviewer is able to see changes of #789 compared to #456, as well as read full context of comments/issues as second/third cycle takes place...

Is it possible to implement this in RC?

Important aspects are:
1. Ability to add commits to review after creation;
2. Retain existing comments on adding commits to review;
3. Ability to compare any revisions involved in the review as well as original revision;
4. Provide individual statuses for each comment (Open / Resolved / Closed).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 19 Jan, 2017 11:06 AM

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for providing such detailed question. We have all the individual features you're looking for here, however not in the exact workflow.

• RhodeCode has inline comments, comments have two types: NOTE and TODO.

• TODO comments are blocking, and you can resolve each TODO with leaving a linked note that resolves TODO x. (see todo-note.gif)

• our code-review currently mostly is based on pull-requests. Pull requests are versioned. It means when someone starts a review by opening a pull-request, each update is tracked and new version of pull requests is created. (see pr-versions.png) Users can navigate to each version of a pull request, to see exact each step how that final diff was made. inline/general comments are also versioned so you can see all original notes in original places when viewing particular version.

Now the downside is that this workflow is available in pull-requests which we currently have only for Mercurial and Git. the non-dvcs nature of SVN makes it harder to implement it for SVN.

That said we're also planning to introduce review-requests which would work similarly to pull-requests however based on patches submitted, or inidividual commits. SO users can cherry-pick commits for review. This functionality is however in works now, and we should rolll this out in next 4-8 weeks.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Best,

2. 2 Posted by Oleg Efimov on 19 Jan, 2017 01:50 PM

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for the prompt answer!
    I've managed to get pull requests working, thx.

As for TODO comments -- I have no such combobox (NOTE/TODO) in the comment UI ('add comment' icon also looks different -- it is a plus sign.

I'm using RhodeCode Enterprise 4.5.2 Community Edition.

Could you please help?

Thanks in advance,
    Oleg.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 19 Jan, 2017 02:02 PM

Hi Oleg,

Appologize, i forgot to write that this is available only in beta version (4.6) that is going to be released in next 1-2 weeks.

our public instance at https://code.rhodecode.com is running that version, so you can create an account there and play with that functionality.

4.6 has a lot of improvements including the versioning of pull requests, comment versioning etc.

4. Oleg Efimov closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2017 03:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac