Performance: Is there a way to set the /tmp folder location?

dwight.holman

07 Oct, 2016 02:13 AM

Hi Guys,

According to your documentation:
https://docs.rhodecode.com/RhodeCode-Enterprise/admin/tuning-mount-cache-memory.html
> RhodeCode Enterprise components heavily use the /tmp folder, so moving your /tmp folder into to a
> RAM-based TMPS can lead to a noticeable performance boost.
Great idea - but for those not using *nix platforms, the only way to do this is to move the RhodeCode install to a new path, or change/set the location of the tmp folder that RhodeCode uses?

This would allow us to direct the tmp activity to a faster drive (SSD or RAM Disk) to get more performance.

I searched online docs and could not find any mention of this, or forum discussion on the topic.

Can this be done?

Thanks,
Dwight

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 07 Oct, 2016 06:59 AM

Hi Dwight,

Are you on windows platform ? Generally /tmp is used by the VCS systems, so it's hard to control that.

Let us check if this is possible to change it otherwise. I think setting an env variable TMPDIR=/some/new/path could do the trick. You could add it to the supervisord.ini file under enviroment options

2. 2 Posted by dwight.holman on 09 Oct, 2016 08:15 PM

Hi Marcin,

we are using Windows 2012.

The documentation describes how to setup TMPFS on Linux, but has no comment/suggestion for Windows.

Tried posting my reply on tender app - but that seems to have a problem says:

We're sorry, but something went wrong

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.

I also noticed this comment on RhodeCode CE - and the decision to NOT offer the CE for Windows platforms. Could this be related to what we're seeing with RhodeCode 3.8?

https://rhodecode.tenderapp.com/help/discussions/questions/33228-windows

Cheers,
    Dwight

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 09 Oct, 2016 08:19 PM

Hi Dwight,

So generally yes /tmp fix on windows could be ommited, since the performance hit by using cygwin in general is significantly bigger.

We migrated few of our customers from windows2012, into a VM based image we provide that has all things installed and pre-configured.

Your database/repositories folders can still stay in windows machine and can be mounted into the Linux VM to share the repositories.

Would something like work for you ? We're happy to help you with migration, and i promise you'll get a BIG performance boost by doing the migration.

Cheers

4. 4 Posted by dwight.holman on 09 Oct, 2016 09:09 PM

Hi Marcin,

understood - yes technically is possible but we need to add some storage to our server first. When that work is done I'll have a look at the options.

If the Linux VM hosts only RhodeCode (the repositories and database remain on Windows) how much disk space is required (for the VM VHD)?

Thanks,
    Dwight

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 10 Oct, 2016 10:46 AM

Dwight-

In such case that VM hosts only RhodeCode, i think a ballpark of 10-20GB is more then enough. IS that something possible for you to do ?

Cheers

6. 6 Posted by dwight.holman on 10 Oct, 2016 08:44 PM

Hi Marcin,

Yes we have room for that. I will create a VM in parallel and test it.

Will follow the instructions on your website to setup a CE instance - unless you have other suggestions

Dwight

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 12 Oct, 2016 10:18 AM

Dwight,

That's what i would suggest.

Cheers

8. 8 Posted by dwight.holman on 12 Oct, 2016 10:11 PM

Hi Marcin,

I've managed to install the VCS server ok on a fresh Linux VM. But the Community edition install failed - after showing downloading the install crashed with the message:

Segmentation fault (core dumped).

We are installing this version:
    RhodeCode-installer-linux-build20160927_1900

Any suggestions what we should try next?

Thanks,
    Dwight

9. 9 Posted by dwight.holman on 12 Oct, 2016 10:13 PM

We are installing on Ubuntu 16.04.1.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 12 Oct, 2016 10:19 PM

Hi Dwight,

that's really puzzling. We did test on ubuntu 16.04 but that was an upgrade. I might thing it could be related to python3 only.

any possibility to install python2 there ?

11. 11 Posted by dwight.holman on 12 Oct, 2016 11:02 PM

Hmm after some more checking it looks like my problem was missing supervisord.

After uninstalling rhodecode, and adding suprvisord then the installs worked. Perhaps install instructions should mention this?

D

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 13 Oct, 2016 08:06 AM

H Dwight,

do you have any logs ? That's really odd since supervisord is installed by us via installer. I'd be great to track your problem down...

13. 13 Posted by dwight.holman on 13 Oct, 2016 07:42 PM

Hi Marcin,

No I haven't collected any logs. Do you mean that there is a RhodeCode installation log?

If so how wouldn't they be purged by rccontrol self-destory (which I did after the problem happened).

Let me know what you want to see and I can try to collect...

Dwight

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 13 Oct, 2016 07:48 PM

Dwight-

The installation logs are in /tmp
    DO i understand right that you did self-destroy followed by installation fo system supervisord and again rccontrol install ?

Cheers

15. 15 Posted by dwight.holman on 13 Oct, 2016 09:18 PM

Correct.

16. 16 Posted by dwight.holman on 13 Oct, 2016 09:20 PM

Here is the file - but looks like I suspected - this doesn't have any of the previous attempts to install.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Marcin Kuzminsk... on 14 Oct, 2016 10:03 AM

All looks ok i the file.

Btw, do you remember why you had to install supervisord on the system ? Some error ?

We ship our own supervisord and this should just work, since self-init commands start supervisord.

That's puzzling

18. 18 Posted by dwight.holman on 14 Oct, 2016 10:42 PM

Ah I see what you mean.

Sorry I didn't save any error messages and cannot recall any specific message. I did this because at one stage I had installed VCSServer but rccontrol status said the vcs status was unknown, and neither could I stop or restart vcs. I think I *might* have got a supervisor error when doing that.

Can't recall if I mentioned it previously, but I had an rhode code install crash (core dump) so maybe supervisor install was incomplete/affected by that?

The good news is that based on initial testing the Linux install of v4 is faster than the v3.8 install on Windows. I have some more tuning to do so should got faster yet.

D

--
    Dwight Holman
    [email blocked]

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac